For a just and equitable society in which diversity is valued; relationships are respectful; where people have a sense of connection and belonging as well as an opportunity to learn and develop; both service providers and the community need to work together. We believe this role bridges that gap.
In the first year of operation, PEACE Multicultural Services has successfully trained over 20 Community Ambassadors who are workng closely with their communities. Several events have been successfully organised for community awareness and it is these enthusiastic individuals who are already making a difference in the community.
Community Ambassadors possess many strengths and qulities. They:
- Act as a positive role model
- Have excellent communication skills, especially when dealing with conflicts
- Have strong community networks with a substantial community presence and representation
- Are motivated individuals with a passion towards positive change
- Are willing to participate and act as catalysts towards making a difference
- Understand principles of confidentiality and empathy
Community Ambassadors connect with different communities and undertake activities including:
- Creating networks and relationships with community members
- Connecting PEACE Multicultural Services to community members
- Assisting in the planning and implementation of community awareness and health & wellbeing activities
- Participating in regular meetings
- Assisting community members in accessing needed services to address gambling related issues
- Free extensive training and professional development opportunities beyond the initial training
- Ongoing mentoring and support from PEACE staff members and/or other gambling help services
- Opportunities to make a positive difference in their community
- All out-of-pocket expenses covered
- Opportunities to develop and implement creative and innovative project ideas
- Experience in working with clients
- Contributing in a supportive environment with people who share a mutual passion for social justice and equity
- Experience in engaging with people from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Improved opportunities for employment
How To Become A PEACE Community Ambassador
If you are a community leader, aspire to be a community leader or have a passion to work for your community and think that you are ready to take the challenge of bringing education and awareness around highly sensitive issues to your community, you could become a PEACE Community Ambassador.
All Community Ambassadors must be willing and available to attend training course and meetings.
The application process in five easy steps:
- Forward your expression of interest via email, face-to-face and/or over the phone to Project Officer PEACE Community Ambassadors Project at 8245 8100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and request an application form.
- Submit the completed application form to email@example.com
- If your application form is successful, you will need to attend a selection interview.
- Upon selection to become a PEACE Community Ambassador, please provide a current Police Clearance and DCSI check (PEACE Multicultural Services will bear the expenses if this process needs to be done).
- Satisfactorily complete the training at Relationships Australia SA’s Hindmarsh Office.